Carrot Tea Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
● 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
● 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for pan
● 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
● 1 tsp. baking powder
● 1/2 tsp. baking soda
● 1/2 tsp. salt
● 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
● 1/2 cup packed dark-brown sugar
● 2 large eggs
● 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
● 1 cup packed grated carrots (from about 2 carrots)
● 1 bar (8 ounces) reduced fat cream cheese, room temperature
● 5 tbsp honey
● 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
For the cake:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 5-by-9-inch (6-cup) loaf pan.
In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon; set aside.
Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and brown sugar until light
and fluffy, about two minutes. Beat in eggs one at a time, until each
one is combined. Add one teaspoon of vanilla. Beat in grated carrots.
With the mixer on low, add the flour mixture in thirds, wiping down
the sides of the bowl after each addition. Do not overmix. Transfer the
cake batter in to the prepared pan. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a
toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool in
pan for 10 minutes. Carefully, turn cake out onto a wire rack, and let
For the frosting:
Beat the cream cheese, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla for 5 minutes or until
fluffy. Spread the frosting on top of the cooled cake, and serve at room
Wrapped in an airtight container, the cake can be kept for three to four days.