Today was Jennifer's birthday (Jennifer is our neighbor). So me and the kids made cupcakes for her. And took them to her, so much for them helping me sing happy birthday. It was me! Sorry Jennifer.
Chocolate Kit Kat Cupcakes
(makes 12 cupcakes; do not double recipe…make two separate batches if you need more)
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
- 2 ounces milk chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup (1 1/2 oz) Dutch-processed cocoa
- 3/4 cup (3 3/4 oz) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup (5 1/4 oz) sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 cup (4 oz) sour cream
- Kit Kats Minis
1. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position; heat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard-sized muffin pan (1/2 cup capacity) with baking-cup liners.
2. Combine butter, chocolate and cocoa in medium heatproof bowl. Set bowl over saucepan containing barely simmering water; heat mixture until butter and chocolate are melted and whisk until smooth and fully combined. Set aside to cool until just warm to touch.
3. Whisk flour, baking soda and baking powder in small bowl to combine
4. Whisk eggs in second medium bowl to combine; add sugar, vanilla and salt and whisk until fully incorporated. Add cooled chocolate mixture and whisk until combined. Sift about one-third of flour mixture over chocolate mixture and whisk until combined; whisk in sour cream until combined; then sift in remaining flour mixture and whisk batter until it is homogenous and thick.
5. Divide batter evenly among muffin pan cups. Break a kit kat in half and stick inside the batter. Bake until skewer inserted into center of cupcakes comes out clean, 18-20 minutes.
6. Cool cupcakes in muffin pan on wire rack until cool enough to handle, about 15 minutes. Carefully lift each cupcake from muffin pan and set on wire rack. Cool to room temperature. I stuck a half a Kit Kat in the baked cupcake and sprinkled with powdered sugar and crushed Kit Kats to serve.